Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
9. Using your Search and Results
To save search history and set up alerts, create an account with Ovid. You will need to provide your own one-word username and password.
Note: the password must be greater than have more than 6 letters or numbers and should not include special characters.
While you do not need an account to search Ovid; it is advisable to login to view your saved searches.
Your search results can be printed, emailed or directly exported to citation management software (such as Mendeley, Refworks, Endnote or Zotero) or to knowledge synthesis tools such as Covidence
Step by Step: Using the Results of Your Search
Save your Search
- You will need a Personal Account to save your search (see Sign up for Personal Account below)
- Beneath your Search History, Click the Save All button
- Enter a Search Name
- Comment (Optional)
- Your Search History has been saved
To re-run your saved search
- Click View Saved to review your Saved Searches
- Select the search and click on Run
Sign up for Personal Account
To Save searches in Medline, you'll need to create a personal account with Ovid.
- Click the My Account tab
- Click Create Account
- Complete the Personal Account form using
- one word for your login name (Note: do not use your CWL)
- an alphanumeric password with no special characters
Medline - Saving your Search Results
To export citations to a citation management tool
- Check the box next to the items in your search results that you would like to Export
- Use the Format dropdown menu to Select the format of the export (Refworks is the default format)
- In the Fields dropdown menu Select Complete Reference
- Click Export
NOTE: Select All
for bulk download, up to 999 results. Use the Ranges
to do the export in stages, if results exceed 1000. E.g. 1-999, 1000-1999 etc.
Medline - Exporting Search Results
Sharing Your Search
At times you may wish to share your search with your supervisor, research team, or with your librarian prior to a consult.
You can share your Search History directly from Medline.
- Emailing your search results
- Copying your search results to the Clipboard
Saving your Search and Results
- Create an Account with Ovid
- Go back to the Search page
- Save your search strategy
- Export all, or a few, results to a citation management tool [Note: use RIS format to export to Mendeley or Covidence].