Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Remember our research question: "What research has been done on the use of games such as Wii, Kinnect and others for improving balance in children and teenagers who have a traumatic brain injury including concussion."
In Steps 2 and 3, we completed the first piece of our PICO element - Population/Problem by performing both a Subject Heading and Keyword Search for the brain injury concept.
We will now repeat this process for our second PICO element: Intervention
Step by Step: Adding the Second PICO Concept - Intervention
Intervention: Subject Heading Search
- Start on the OVID Search Bar
- Select the “Map Term to Subject Heading” box
- In the search bar, type ‘Wii’ and click Search
- From the mapped list of Subject Headings
- Select the most appropriate subject heading, in this case Video Games
- Click on Video Games to expand the tree
- Ensure there are no more specific Subject Headings in the tree
- Remember to click on the Scope note to check on the definition and other information such as which years the subject heading is used and the synonyms it includes.
- Click Continue
- A list of subheadings will be displayed. See Tip: Subheadings
- Click Continue to include all subheadings
Adding the second PICO concept and Subject Headings
Subheadings allow you to choose a specific aspect of your topic. For example, adding Trends will find papers about the changes over time that video games have had or may have.
- Because a structured search with combined multiple sets will constrain the results, at this point, do not specify a subheading
- They are useful when searching for an aspect of a particular topic. E.g. Brain injuries/epidemiology finds papers about the incidence, prevalence, etc. of brain injuries
Keyword Search - Intervention
- Start on the OVID Search Bar
- De-select (uncheck) the "Map Term to Subject Heading" box
- For the PICO Concept Intervention, our keyword search terms include specific game names that do not have subject headings (e.g. wii, kinnect) as well as the subject heading and a synonym found from the Scope note, computer games.
- video game* OR computer game*
- In the OVID Search bar enter
- wii OR kinect OR nintendo OR video game* OR computer game*
- each search term is combined with the operator OR
- Click Search
- The keyword search is displayed in the Search History
Second PICO concept - Adding the Keyword search and combining searches
Combine the Subject Heading and Keyword Search
- Select the Subject Heading and Keyword Search
- Combine with the operator OR
- The combined search for the second PICO element, Intervention, is complete and displayed in the Search History
Continue building your search
- Using the Subject Heading steps 1-4 above, find and search for subject headings for your Intervention, or second, concept.
- Using the Keyword steps 1-4 above, find and search for keywords for your Intervention, or second, concept.
- Combine these 2 searches with OR