UBC CAP 2030 Targets and Actions: Commuting
Target: By 2030, achieve a 45% reduction in commuting emissions from 2010 levels.
Immediately, UBC aims to:
- Develop policies, targets and tools that enable and support departments in incorporating remote work / teleworking, flex days and online learning on an ongoing basis.
- Explore funding via a “Sustainable Transportation Levy” as part of parking permit fees (e.g., $0.25 / trip) to fund sustainable transportation initiatives, including a Sustainable Transportation Program, that will support increased use of sustainable modes of transportation and reductions in commuting emissions.
- Establish an ongoing Sustainable Transportation Program to deliver infrastructure, programs and initiatives that enable sustainable transportation choices and drive behavioural change to reduce commuting emissions.
- Continue to pursue a SkyTrain connection to campus by 2032 (existing action).
- Identify a suite of improvements including infrastructure, procedural, and policy changes to improve the Electric Vehicle (EV) charging user experience and increase capacity to support transition towards electrical vehicle ownership in the UBC community.