To use Mendeley, you will need to create a Mendeley account and download the Desktop version.
Writing a paper with in text citations and a bibliography
- Download the MS Word plugin.
- Find the Mendeley Cite-o-Matic area in MS Word under References in the navigation menu.
- Select the American Psychological Association, 6th edition citation style.
- Use Insert Citation to add citations.
- Use Insert Bibliography create a list of citations at the end of your paper.
- If there are errors in the citations, correct them first in your Mendeley account and then Refresh your document.
Creating an annotated bibliography (note: you do not need the MS Word plugin)
- In the Mendeley Desktop menu, select View --> Citation Style --> American Psychological Association 6th edition
- Organize the citations you will use into one folder in your Mendeley account and sort by Authors.
- Select and copy the citations into an empty Word document.
- If there are errors in the citations, correct them first in your Mendeley account and then copy them again.
- Add your annotations to the citations.
Note: If you want to get fancy, you could insert your annotation into the Abstract field in Mendeley, and then select the Citation Style "American Psychological Association, 6th edition (annotated bibliography with abstract)".