September is a great month to think about seeds! Please join us for the following seedy events and learn more about seed saving and sharing.
Welcome to the UBC Seed Lending Library! We are open to everyone, and we're located in two locations; Woodward Library and the Education Library on the Vancouver campus. The UBC Seed Lending Library allows anyone to "borrow" seeds free of charge, and provides opportunities to learn about gardening, seed saving, and agricultural research and teaching at UBC.
Thank you to our partner, UBC Farm, for their support of the UBC Seed Lending Library!
Our seeds come from borrowers who kindly return seeds at the end of the growing season as well as donations from the UBC Farm and West Coast Seeds, and a UTown@UBC grant which helped us to purchase seeds from the BC Eco Seeds Co-op.
- Develop seed stock that is well suited to local growing conditions
- Preserve heritage and biodiversity
- Save money by growing your own food from the seeds you save
- Contribute to a community effort to preserve and use local seed varieties growing and sharing seeds
- Learn about seeds and seed saving
- Create a culture of sustainability and self-reliance in your community